An electrical malfunction at a hydro vault behind Temple Israel of Ottawa was the likely cause of a fire that caused about $10,000 in damages late Sunday night (October 15).
“Damage was primarily to the transformer and our waste bins outside the kitchen door. Interior damage is minimal. As a result of this, Temple currently does not have power (nor telephone) and all scheduled events, school and meetings have been postponed until further notice,” said Temple officials in a Facebook post Monday afternoon.
In an email Tuesday morning, Heather Cohen, executive director of Temple Israel, told the Bulletin that Hydro Ottawa expects to finish repairing the hydro vault today. Once that is done, an electrician will have to complete repairs inside the building.
The building will reopen once that work is done. The electrician, Cohen said, expects the work to be finished by Wednesday or Thursday.
Update: Temple Israel reopened on Thursday, October 19.