(JTA) – The Jewish Community Relations Council of Minnesota affirmed its solidarity with the Muslim community in the wake of an attack on a local mosque.
The blast at the Dar Al Farooq Islamic Center in Minneapolis occurred early on Saturday, while worshippers were gathered for early morning prayers. No one was injured in the attack, but the imam’s office where someone threw a firebomb was damaged, according to police.
“Earlier this year, the Muslim community placed an ad in the Star Tribune affirming solidarity with the Jewish community after the JCC bomb threats. Today, the Jewish community affirms its solidarity with the school, mosque, and local Muslim community,” Steve Hunegs, executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council of Minnesota and the Dakotas, said in a statement.
The attack caused an estimated $95,000 worth of damage.
A GoFundMe page set up in the wake of the attack to help the mosque has raised nearly $69,000 and a LaunchGood campaign has raised nearly $17,000. Donations ranged from $5 to hundreds of dollars.
“We are falling short of words to express our gratitude for all your love and support. May Allah bless you all!” the mosque said in an update on the GoFundMe page.
One message left by a donor couple on the page read: “We are American Jews who share your outrage and sorrow over the recent attack on your mosque. We are relieved that no one was injured, grateful to the first responders, and hopeful that the perpetrator(s) will soon be identified and brought to justice.”
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement that it was in contact with local, state and federal authorities as the investigation into the attack moves forward. “The Department of Homeland Security fully supports the rights of all to freely and safely worship the faith of their choosing and we vigorously condemn such attacks on any religious institution. We are thankful that there were no injuries, but that does not diminish the serious nature of this act,” the DHS said.