(JTA) – Members of an Israeli youth soccer team suffered food poisoning at a hotel in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Maccabi Petah Tikva youth soccer team fell ill over the weekend in Sofia, where they were attending a training camp. Several players were admitted to the hospital, Israel’s Sport 5 television reported.
After the food poisoning incident, which began hours after a joint Friday night dinner, the team purchased its own food to avoid a similar incident.
Avi Luzon, a Maccabi Petah Tikva team official, told Sport 5 that they believed the team may have intentionally been poisoned after singing Hebrew songs at their Friday night dinner.
Luzon said the team would ask the Bulgarian soccer federation to investigate the incident.