JERUSALEM (JTA) — The Palestinians will postpone sending a draft resolution to the United Nations Security Council calling on it to set a timetable for Israel’s withdrawal from the West Bank.
The suspension will last until after the end of Iran nuclear talks, which are expected to be extended on Monday through at least next month, which has required most of the attention of the council, Palestinian Authority (PA) Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki told the Palestinian Maan news agency on Monday.
The PA also is working to gain the support of nine council members to ensure that the measure passes the Security Council.
The United States is expected to veto such a resolution.
The draft resolution calls for the “full withdrawal of Israel, the occupying power, from all of the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, as rapidly as possible and to be fully completed within a specified time-frame, not to exceed November 2016,” according to the AFP news agency, which obtained a copy of the draft.
In the last month, the parliaments of several major countries have voted to recognize a state of Palestine: Sweden, Britain and Spain. France will hold a similar vote at the end of the week.
PA chief negotiator Saeb Erekat on Monday told the Israeli daily Haaretz that no decision had been made on postponing the Security Council draft resolution bid and that it is still slated to be submitted at the end of this month.