(JTA) – The foreign ministers of Germany, France and Italy condemned in a joint statement anti-Semitic acts arising out of the recent wave of anti-Israel demonstrations across Europe.
Germany’s Frank-Walter Steinmeier, France’s Laurent Fabius and Italy’s Federica Mogherini met in Brussels Tuesday to coordinate a response to protests in Berlin, Paris, The Hague, Antwerp and Brussels that have included chants calling for the murder of Jews and that in France have devolved into riots targeting synagogues.
“Anti-Semitic agitation, hate speech against Jews, attacks against people of Jewish belief and against synagogues cannot be tolerated in our societies in Europe,” the ministers’ statement reads. “We strongly condemn the outrageous anti-Semitic statements, demonstrations and attacks in our countries in recent days,” the joint statement said.
Nine synagogues in France have been targeted over the last week, Jewish groups said.
On Wednesday, approximately 10 youths assaulted a disabled Jewish woman in Gap in southeastern France, the French Jewish community’s SPCJ security unit reported. They hurled stones at her and chanted slogans about killing Jews.
Speaking at a Holocaust commemoration in Paris on Sunday, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls described the phenomenon as a “new anti-Semitism.”
“Traditional anti-Semitism, this old disease of Europe, is joined by a new anti-Semitism that cannot be denied or concealed, that we must face,” he said. “It happens on the social networks and in workers’ neighborhoods, among ignorant young men who hide their hatred of Jews behind a facade of anti-Zionism or hatred of the State of Israel.”